I was planning to reduce the weight and leave the laptop at home, and only bring the Surface tablet to Tech-Ed. And I got the bright idea (or so it seemed at the time) that I would need work email on it as well as my private mail.
And it had completely slipped my mind that I had tried this once before, and it didn’t work then either. So I enabled email, it required setting of some policies, oh well, let’s accept those (I thought I should know the impact), and sync away.
The first problem to come up was that the mailbox is quite large and the sync is horrendously slow, not at all like on iPhone or iPad, but painfully slow. And once sync’ed it is even more painfully slow to actually try to switch mailboxes, quite unusably slow. But I thought I could live with that for a week. Until I noticed that the enforced policies had also removed by numeric pincode login and replaced it with the original 25 character randomized Windows Live account password. Which won’t really do at all in real life.
So, mailsync quickly removed, and now for the exciting task of (once more) trying a systems restore without loosing too much things. This time around I will make sure to write it down, in the hope that the next time I get the bright idea to try to use email on the Surface I will read here first and refrain from it…