Despite an intention and a private decision to use my blog(-s) more I still find myself constantly using WordPress as my second choice.
Meaning I take a picture, or I jot down some notes, and they still first go on Facebook, and only after some hours I get around to posting the same on WordPress (and with the added twist that I then exclude sharing the post through the Facebook integration, since everyone there has already seen the post directly).
And I know why this keeps happening. It is quite simply that WordPress still lacks necessary functionality I need to use it as my primary place for writing, such as
- Uploading an image through the Facebook app is quick and simple, no settings can be changed so width, position and such is just whatever Facebook decides, while on my blog I like to keep things neat and in style, pictures should be centered, they should fill the width of the column, etc, and I also like to have a consistant naming of the photos, which is due to the fact that I’ve looped the number series over several times and don’t want to risk overwriting photos, or having duplicate names with strange appended numbers by some automagic feature.
And this simply can’t be done through the WordPress IOS app.
- Tags in WordPress are not converted to Twitter tags when publishing a post with the Twitter integration enabled. A detail, but still something that would have simplified the steps of publishing if automated when posting.
Writing is also a pain in the WordPress app,
- First I need to have witty title, while on Facebook I’m able to just post some quick notes without having to consider a fitting headline for them. Maybe I could just go with “Untitled” or todays date, but still…
- Second and more important is the issue that while I can browse categories and add a post to the proper place, there is no way to browse tags, these can only be written and comma-separated, and having several hundred tags I’m not going to go around guessing how I spelled this particular tag last time I used it.
- And third, a bit back to images again, when having written a post and added an image, and being almost ready to publish, I want to set a featured image. And I really hate that since I always want to use the same featured image which I’ve just added to the post, I’m still forced re-upload the same image a second time. Not that the actual storage is the main issue here, but rather the bandwidth usage on the mobile phone but also the even bigger problem of later trying to navigate in a media library where every image exists at least two times.
Today WordPress works great through a webbrowser, on a large screen with a full size keyboard, but it doesn’t feel quite as easy to use through a mobile, for example on the bus, which is where I’d like to use it rather than having to power up the old slow PC in the evening.
I hope there will come a better WordPress app for IOS in some future, making it more user-friendly as I’d really like to be able to collect thoughts and photos in any of my WordPress sites and from there sharing to social media when and if I want to.