Messages in iCloud

This morning it finally arrived, iOS 11.4 and Messages in iCloud. Finally I was going to be able to sync up all my devices where messages had been scattered over time. Partly because purchasing a new phone and not restoring backups, and partly due to some glitch for a short while causing all replies to SMS:es sent from my phone to end up on my iPad only.

And it worked. Right out of the box.

Now I haven’t counted every single SMS since they’re from 4-5 years at least, but it looks like most messages got over from the old, otherwise unusable, phone to the new one, and the messages from the iPad as well. Oddly though, messages does not seem to have synced to the iPad. But I can live with that.

For this one feature, this was the best iOS upgrade in a very long time.

Advertisements

Upgrade of QNAP firmware

I just upgraded to the latest QNAP firmware. Everything seems to be working, but despite the promised patch of Safari-related problems some glitches still remain.

First of all the bug in Plex media server remains, in that it won’t start after first boot after firmware upgrade, but needs a second reboot of the NAS. I’m not sure if this is fixed in the more recent Plex upgrades, since my last attempt to upgrade Plex just caused more problems than it solved and I then chose to downgrade. So, as long as nothing more than a scone reboot is needed I will live with it.

Second, while I’m not sure what Safari problems have been resolved, mine still remains, that I can’t log in at all if using Safari on an iPad. Login menu appears, enter user and password, and nothing happens other than the spinning “wait…” screen. But the apps works so it’s also manageable.

Missing: location

While it’s really such a minor trivial thing, it’s still quite annoying that my “home” location won’t appear in the Facebook app on my iPad, only in Firefox on my PC.

It does result in quite many incorrectly location-tagged posts, to be adjusted later sometime. It’s just such a waste of time.

(Another annoying triviality is that the iPad still hasn’t picked up the change of site icon which the rest of the devices has. Should I really need to reinstall the app just for this detail? It works, but still…)

(And, updated, I reinstalled the Facebook app as well. It didn’t help.)

iPhone restored

Well then. I just completed restoring my iPhone from an old backup which I luckily had done just the day before the Snapseed app got updated to its new version, which in my opinion was a significant step backwards in user friendliness and functionality.

First update in years and the app is so drastically changed it should really have been a completely different app, so those wanting it could buy it.

But all’s well that ends well, and at least I have finally gotten around to disabling the auto-update functionality on my iPhone and iPad, I had thought about doing it for a long while but hadn’t really done it since on the whole everything worked well enough and it was easier to auto-download than to install manually. But no more so.

Minnow

I’ve changed to the Minnow theme on this site as well after having used it for some time on other sites. I find it quite elegant and there’s really only one thing I miss: being able to have a picture header behind the title of the site name. That, and the strange bug when reading on an iPad, where everything is just white until you touch the screen after the page has loaded.

Windows 8.1 is finally released

And here I thought I was past getting excited about a new software patch, especially after the gigantic disappointment I had with IOS7, but I’m actually looking forward to the full release of Windows 8.1.

On the Surface RT it matters little as it’s had the preview since day one, but the new Pro with its vanilla-8 felt rather crippled in comparison when I unpacked it yesterday.

Now downloading some 4GB of patches…

Things I shouldn’t have tested in the last minute

I was planning to reduce the weight and leave the laptop at home, and only bring the Surface tablet to Tech-Ed. And I got the bright idea (or so it seemed at the time) that I would need work email on it as well as my private mail.

And it had completely slipped my mind that I had tried this once before, and it didn’t work then either. So I enabled email, it required setting of some policies, oh well, let’s accept those (I thought I should know the impact), and sync away.

The first problem to come up was that the mailbox is quite large and the sync is horrendously slow, not at all like on iPhone or iPad, but painfully slow. And once sync’ed it is even more painfully slow to actually try to switch mailboxes, quite unusably slow. But I thought I could live with that for a week. Until I noticed that the enforced policies had also removed by numeric pincode login and replaced it with the original 25 character randomized Windows Live account password. Which won’t really do at all in real life.

So, mailsync quickly removed, and now for the exciting task of (once more) trying a systems restore without loosing too much things. This time around I will make sure to write it down, in the hope that the next time I get the bright idea to try to use email on the Surface I will read here first and refrain from it…