WordPress unavailable due to Jetpack update

I came home to notice one of my private domains were unavailable.

Checking the filesystem showed the Jetpack plugin was updated today by autoupdate, the other two sites worked fine but reported a pending update to Jetpack.

Deleting the Jetpack plugin folder solved the issue of getting access to the site, now about upgrading the plugin to a working version.

Version 4.0.2 should work, according to the changelog.


Release date: April 21st, 2016

Bug Fix:

  • Addresses an issue where Jetpack 4.0 caused a fatal error on sites with specific configurations.

It appears others have run into the same problem, so here goes…


Another Jetpack upgrade to version 3.9.6

Today another Jetpack upgrade was released. They’ve become so frequent I hardly have the time to read what’s new, so I mainly upgrade out of habit.

This time though, I did note one of the fixes in the highlights in WordPress control panel, and it sounds rather funny, it must have been

Upgrade to Jetpack

A new Jetpack upgrade became available today, after upgrading two of the sites without any glitch I proceeded to the last and most important site and ran in to some unexpected error.

Odd and unexpected since all the sites run the same installation and same plugins and only differ in the themes used.

Alas, I did not save the error code and after a reload of the page the error disappeared, so hopefully everything is fine, but it was a bit of a scare for a short time.

The case of doing too many changes at the same time

I’m experiencing some quite annoying technical issues with 2 of my websites, and it appears I also suffer from the classical case of having done too many changes at the same time.

The problem is quite simple to spot, since the sites don’t load the first time the user starts the webbrowser. No errors, nothing, just a blank page. And since nothing gets loaded there is no way of trying to “refresh” the page either, the user needs to restart the browser. At which point the pages works fine.

With no apparent errors this is going to be interesting to troubleshoot, so I started going through my changelogs for the past weeks.

  • Upgraded WordPress (well, this came automagically so strictly it wasn’t me, but still it was as I’m the one who allowed autoupdates)
  • Installed Jetpack, I hadn’t really expected any errors with this since it works fine on a 3rd identically configured site.
  • Changed PHP version, since my hosting provider informed they had enabled the new versions. Strictly not required, more of a lifecycle upgrade and therefore this is the first change to be rolled back as well.
  • And some minor stuff like changing some themes (one site only though), adding WPSec (which was done some weeks before but I’m excluding no leads for the time being)

I think that was all, it’s at least everything I’ve noted down. And I’d really to avoid disabling functionality so I’m hoping this is either a PHP issue, or potentially a serverside issue like memory related or similar.